Introduction to Web AR development
with webXR, mindAR, three.js and tensorflow.js
This is the most comprehensive guide to developing web-based augmented reality applications. Web AR stands out from others in that it’s cross-platform and requires no app installation. They are just regular web pages run on regular web browsers.
- In this course, you will learn how to use MindAR opensource library for building Image AR effects and Face AR effects. MindAR is a successor of AR.js, which is the most popular free-to-use AR library in the world.
- Besides, you will learn how to use WebXR API for building world AR effects. WebXR is a native browser API for developing immersive AR and VR effects on browsers.
- You will also learn how to integrate tensorflow.js machine learning models into AR applications, to create highly interactive and interesting effects. For example, using hand gestures or facial expressions to control AR contents.
- You will also kickstart the journey of mastering the most popular 3D rendering framework called three.js.
- Other important web AR technologies will also be covered, including AFRAME, model-viewer, and commercial AR SDKs.
- Besides practical development skills, you will also learn theoretical knowledge on how AR works in a browser environment.
The course material is carefully designed. Each lecture is highly modular to deliver a single concept, which allows you to look up any references easily in the future. All the sample source code is concise and well explained.
Besides lectures, you will have to finish 3 practical assignments in total, one for each type of tracking effect. One of the assignments is for you to create and deploy a real online AR portfolio for yourself, which you can show other people.
Useful development tips will be covered, including remote debugging tools and webcam mocking techniques.
- Gain hands-on experiences in building different types of Web AR applications including Image Effects, Face Effects, and World Effects
- Acquire a basic understanding of how AR works in web browsers
- Master using WebXR, mind-ar-js and three.js for building web AR applications
- Learn integrating AR with machine learning models using tensorflow.js to build highly interactive experiences
- Get to know other important web AR libraries, including AFRAME, model-viewer, and commercial SDKs
- Learn using effective debugging, simulating, and mocking tools to speed up development
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of all web AR technologies, now and near future, and know when to use what
- Build and publish an online AR portfolio for yourself
- Web developers
- AR Enthusiasts
- WebXR, MindAR or three.JS enthusiasts
- Own an Android or iOS device